June Favorites




It's the last day of June so there's still time to reflect over what I've been loving this month! It feels like June just flew by so there were not many new things that I hadn't already been loving before. But I did take a short trip this month so there were a few things I used more than usual that deserve some praise so I'll keep this short and sweet and get straight to it.


Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioner - $4.49
I started using leave-in conditioners when I first went ombre and I haven't looked back since. I used to use the Garnier Fructis Whole Blends Leave-In Conditioner which smelled like coconut, and I wasn't a big fan of it. It felt too thick and I'm not really a fan of coconut flavors or scents. So I switched to the Sleek & Shine Leave-In Conditioner from the same brand and it works so much better! The product feels much lighter in my hair and smells sooooo good! It smells really fruity (apricots) and refreshing and makes my hair smell so good long after I put it in. Sometimes I'll go a few weeks without using leave-in conditioner, but I especially like using this after spending all day in the heat or going swimming, so my hair can be revitalized.



Benefit's The POREfessional Face Primer - $31
I mentioned before that I have naturally large pores (and I hate it!!) so I do everything I can to minimize their appearance!! Like I said in the charcoal post, you cannot actually change the size of your pores (thanks genetics), you can only make them appear to be smaller - and this product does just that!! It's a miracle worker. I don't know if magic or science is involved in the beauty of this product, all I know is that it works! It's extremely expensive though for such a small tube, so I use it as sparingly as I can because I don't have the funds to replace it every time I run out. I mostly use it if I'm going to be taking pictures for something important or if I'm going out somewhere new or special, and sometimes I don't need any occasion to wear it!



NYX's Mineral "Set It & Don't Fret It" Matte Finishing Powder - $10
Truthfully, I don't always use powder after I've applied foundation because sometimes I'm good to go without it. However, since it's summer and it's been over 100 degrees lately, sometimes my foundation just feels so creamy and greasy even when I'm not sweating. So I started applying this matte finishing powder more often after I put on makeup and it really does help keep my makeup from running and keep me feeling fresher in this heat. I love this product because a little of it goes a long way so I don't constantly have to go out and buy a new powder and it somehow manages to match my skin tone whether I'm tanner or not.



Various Mini Mascara Samples: Estee Lauder's Sumptuous, Carmindy & Co, Make Up Forever's Smoky Extravagant, Benefit's They're Real!, Wet N' Wild's Mega Volume, and Lorac's Cobra Mascara
I have so many mascara samples it's insane, which is fine because it's recommended to switch out your mascara after 3 months (though really, who actually does?) Mascara samples are so great because I can just throw them into my purse on the way out! I'm always running late and whenever I'm hurriedly putting on makeup, my top priorities are: foundation, eyebrows, and maybe eyeliner if I have time. But I almost always forget to put on mascara afterward because I'm in such a rush. That's why carrying around a mini sample of mascara is perfect so I can apply it on the road to where ever I'm going. It's one of the only makeup steps I can apply while sitting down with one hand whereas my eyeliner or eyebrows require full attention standing in front of a mirror.
What I love about all the different mascaras I have is that I can use a different one for different things. I love Benefit's They're Real! because they make my eyelashes look so long and natural, but if I want a voluminous, full, thick look I'll go for Carmindy & Co., for length I'd use Estee Lauder's Sumptuous, etc. I just like having options!
I recently went on a trip last weekend and I'm trying very hard to learn how to pack lighter, so these mini mascaras were perfect for minimizing the size of my makeup travel bag! I definitely recommend you stock up on all the samples you can get your hands on from different beauty stores! I got the Lorac one from joining Ulta's membership, the Estee Lauder one was complimentary for buying another one of their products, etc. What's better than getting convenient, useful products for free?!



Various YesTo Face Masks - $2.99
As I mentioned above, I recently went on a trip last week to my hometown. It was a short weekend trip but still, driving long distances, eating more food than I usually do at home, and drinking more usually tires my skin out. Even if my skin doesn't openly react badly (no breakouts, no dryness or excessive oiliness), I still make it a point to treat my face with a mask a day after I've returned from a trip. I just put it through a change (in weather, food habits, etc) so I want to make sure it's taken care of! 
It's not news that I love YesTo products, so they are my preferred brand of face masks, but honestly any mask works!! I just like to make sure it's a mask and not just a scrub because I want my skin to soak in the nutrients and whatnot. Currently I have a few different types, a charcoal paper mask, a coconut paper mask, and argan oil mud mask! I prefer mud masks over paper masks because I like being able to move around after I've applied it to my face haha, but paper masks are really hydrating and that's what I prefer to do to my skin after a trip. There are also sleeping masks but I haven't tried those yet! Maybe one of these days I'll do a comparison on types of masks.



Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

 In last month's favorites, I talked about Netflix and the shows you should be watching, so this month I thought everyone could use a little more textual enrichment! One of my mid-year resolutions was to read more books, and there's no better time for someone to pick up a few books than the summer by the pool! I am not too picky about how I read my books - paperback, Kindle version, or even online on my phone. But there's something fun about going to the library to check out a book, I don't need money or the hassle of not finding it online, so that's what I did this month!

I decided to check out Six of Crows because a lot of my friends said it was similar to all the other book series I love (Harry Potter series, The Raven Cycle, All for the Game series). They had all suggested the other two series for me so I trusted their judgment on this series. This book is a fantasy mystery book about criminals and crimes, so it's full of intrigue and suspense. I think it provides the perfect balance of realism and fantasy and has such a great, interesting ensemble of characters. It's not exactly a "light read by the pool" material but who cares? And if not, I have plenty of other books that will fit the summer beach read criteria (also currently reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell). All I'm saying is everyone should try to stimulate their minds by reading a book or two this summer!


With June behind us, I'm more than ready for the month of July! It's always such an exciting month: fourth of July, my birthday, peak summertime fun. I wonder what it has in store for me. What type of posts would you like to see from me next month? I recently took a trip home so, of course, my grandma gave me a whole bunch of stuff to take home with me, so you can at least be expecting a haul post soon! 


Be sure to follow the site on all social media platforms at @RedRaiderRunway and use the hashtag #RedRaiderRunway for a chance to be seen and featured! And leave a comment below too!

No comments

RedRaiderRunway. Powered by Blogger.