Felt Tip Eyeliner: How Does It Compare?

One of the first posts on this website was a comparison between different types of eyeliners. However, afterward I realized that there was one type of eyeliner that I have neglected to mention, and that was felt tip eyeliner! I've heard them called various different names: eyeliner pens, markers, etc. but they all have the same type of tip. I decided to go out and buy one because I had never used one before (hence why I had forgotten to include it in the "This or That" eyeliner post).

I decided to buy NYX's Super Skinny Eye Marker because NYX is a really affordable brand that has reliable products for someone on a college budget.

NYX Super Skinny Eye Marker - $9.50
My first impression is that the pen offers much more control than a liner with a brush would, whether that be a liquid liner or a gel liner. And its tip is very fine point which makes for easy wings. It is no doubt the easiest type of eyeliner to use, without question. With the felt tip pen eyeliner, you get the stability and control of a pencil liner, with the fine precision of a liner with a brush!

 


The pigmentation of this eyeliner varied though. I tried the product several different times for many different occasions to see how it held up. At first it seems like the color is dark and rich when you first apply it.

The bottom two lines are both from the felt pen.
However, after using this product over time, I can say that more often than not, it looks pretty dull and grey, and I have to go over what I already drew a few times just to get a darker color. Secondly, this product smudges so easily, especially with a little water, it would be completely gone at the first sign of rain. When I washed my hands after drawing all the different types of liners, both felt pen lines were completely gone while the top three lines remained on my hand. (The pencil and gel lines were smudged, but the liquid line stayed completely intact - I told you it's resilient!)

Overall the best thing about this specific eyeliner is that it is extremely quick and easy to use. If you're a beginner and want to try out some winged cat eye looks, this is the eyeliner for you. It's not as intimidating as liquid liner, and the broad strokes of a pencil won't work against you. This felt tip marker has the right amount of control and precision for winged looks. It's honestly the perfect eyeliner for when you're on the go or in a rush. Just swipe it on and you're good to go!

I'm thinking the durability of this product has more to do with the brand than the actual type of eyeliner. I'm curious to try out other types of felt tip pen eyeliners from other brands. Do you have any recommendations for which brands I should try?


Do you have any tips? What other products should I review next? Leave a comment below!

Follow the site on all social media platforms at @RedRaiderRunway and use the hashtag #RedRaiderRunway for a chance to be seen and featured!

No comments

RedRaiderRunway. Powered by Blogger.