Donating Mascara Wands for Wildlife Rescue


As a rule of thumb, they say to swap out your mascara for a new one every three months to prevent eye infections from bacteria build up (bacteria like tight, moist places), not to mention by three months most mascaras get flakey and dry out anyway. But instead of simply tossing them aside when it's time to replace them, why not donate those mascara wands for a good cause!

A few months ago I saw a post on Facebook explaining that a wildlife refuge organization was accepting donated mascara wands used to help clean the animals they rescue! The non-profit organization, Appalachian Wildlife Refuge, started the Wands for Wildlife mission to collect old mascara wands. They state that the tiny bristles on the small wands are perfect for combing out any fly eggs or larva from the animals' fur. Mascara wands are firm enough to comb out the fur yet soft enough not to harm the animals. And when you see pictures of some of the cute animals, you can see why these tiny brushes are the perfect size for them.

When I first saw the post on Facebook, I immediately shared it with my friends and family to see. However, because of the nature of social media, sometimes it's easy to feel like we contributed to the cause by sharing a post and act complacent, as if we've done enough by then. While there's nothing wrong with spreading awareness, taking action should be the goal as well. With everything in life, I like to make sure I follow through with my plans. Earlier in the year I made a post saying that I love mini-mascaras because I have so many of them, so I know I'll have quite a few wands to be able to donate periodically.


The website states to wash all the brushes before you send them in, so I made sure to scrub each one down well. I even used waterproof makeup remover just to be as thorough as possible (you know how stubborn makeup can be at times!) 

The organization asks that people not go out and buy new wands - the point is to recycle what we already have! No matter the brand, everyone uses mascara, so there's no reason why anyone shouldn't be able to participate and donate their wands!! They also accept monetary donations if you would like to help out with food and care for the animals' rehabilitation.
If you would like to donate your wands please do so and mail them in (with the mailing form) to:

P.O. Box 1211
Skyland, NC 28776


With so many other mini-mascaras I still have, I know I'll be able to continue donating for as long as the Appalachian Wildlife Refuge needs them! Who knows, maybe other wildlife refuge centers need them as well!

As an activist I am always trying to do my part to help. Are there any other programs you think I should know about? Let me know in the comments below!


Be sure to follow the site on social media at @RedRaiderRunway and use the hashtag #RedRaiderRunway for a chance to be seen and featured!

No comments

RedRaiderRunway. Powered by Blogger.