Special Edition Feature: Michael Rivarde

This month's spotlight is an extra special one, not just because this is one of my good friends, or because he isn't a Red Raider ("He doesn't even go here!"), but because it's the first male I feature! Michael and I met on twitter because my sorority and his fraternity are very close, and from there our friendship blossomed. He is from New Orleans and is a double major in English and Communication at the University of Nevada- Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada.


 

Michael has since made several trips to Lubbock just to hang out with his fraternity brothers and meet other friends he's made through twitter (or to be my date to my banquet), so he's practically a Lubbock local! When he's not visiting the motherland (both our respective Greek organizations were founded here in Lubbock), he likes to travel as much as he can. You'd think living in Las Vegas would be fun enough already, but he likes to visit places like Dallas, Portland, Denver, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Boston, and New York - just to name a few! 
I dress for fashion. If I know I'm going to go somewhere that has a lot of people, I'm trying to turn heads.

Since Michael is an experienced traveller, I asked how he packs when going on a trip and he said an itinerary of the events with his friends is essential so he knows what to bring such as suits for formal events, a tie and dress shoes for graduations or ceremonies, or his letters if there's a Greek event.



"I'm still evolving so my style changes a lot. My style depends on the season. If it's summer you'll see me in tank tops and tattoos but if it's winter I'll be in cardigans, boots, and a scarf. I'll be the freshest on the block," he says.

Michael's favorite things to wear are tank tops because they show off his tattoos which are a huge form of expression for him. His tattoos are part of his personality and he wants people to see that. 
The less I'm wearing, the more of me you see.
 

After a few visits to Lubbock under his belt, Michael has caught on to how unpredictable the weather can be here and how it's important to take into account when dressing. When I asked him why he didn't bring any tank tops on his most recent trip to Lubbock if he claims they're his favorite article of clothing, he said it was because the Lubbock weather is crazy!  "Here, you have to adjust to the weather. When I'm out here, it's more about being comfortable in the weather."



A key to Michael's wardrobe is being able to mix and match his pieces. He has a few staples that go good with anything such as a good pair of shoes or a jean jacket. Having a staple like a jean jacket is great for layering which can spice up a basic outfit and work in favor of unpredictable weather because it can easily be added for warmth or removed if it's too hot. 

Small details like rolled up jean cuffs or an unbuttoned shirt also give his look a personal touch. Michael also does not shy away from prints or color to mix up his style. He likes to take risks and push boundaries with his look even if people give him a hard time for wearing something like colored jeans. 


He stresses that you have to be yourself and not conform to the opinions of others. He likes to shop at thrift stores to find clothes and not just places like Forever 21 or Express. "I just don't like being the same, wearing the same boring Supreme, Obey style," he said. The key is not to be afraid to get out there, out of your comfort zone, and do things for yourself. If you only think of other's opinions then you won't be happy with yourself. Above all else, you've got to be comfortable in your own skin.
It doesn't matter what you put on if you're not comfortable in your own skin.

So with Michael claiming to be bold with his fashion choices - would he rock a male romper? "I definitely see male rompers being a thing, but I don't think I'm going to wear them though. Maybe if they have a zipper I would in the future," he says. (I'm going to hold him to that!)

 

Michael says he gets his inspiration and is influenced by his heritage, his culture, and even his music taste. He is always conscious of his look no matter where he is going and is always trying to spark interest, even through his hair. "Not a lot of people have natural dreads so it sparks some sort of conversation," he says.
No matter what they think, at least it gets people talking.
Michael's street style is casually dressy and he has become a pro at packing various different versatile looks into carry ons while traveling, especially on a budget! I look forward to hopefully seeing him in a male romper in the future and see how his style continues to evolve!


Want to be featured on Red Raider Runway? Contact that site at redraiderrunway@gmail.com or use the hashtag #RedRaiderRunway on social media for a chance to be seen and have your posts featured!

No comments

RedRaiderRunway. Powered by Blogger.