This Or That?: Eyeliners

When it comes to eyeliner, finding what works best for you can be a little frustrating and overwhelming. Trying to do a cat-eye can result in raccoon eye makeup if you're not using the right product. So I've compiled a small guide to help differentiate the types of products in order to decide which would be best for you.



















Liner Pencil
Pictured: Sumita Eyeliner Pencil

Let's start with the basics - eyeliner pencils were my go-to since I was an angsty teen. If you're going for the dark raccoon look, or making broad lines, this is the eyeliner for you. But if you're trying to do a fine point cat eye then this type of liner is not your friend. The point is too thick and dull for any sort of precision tip, no matter how many times you try to sharpen it to its finest point. Plus, if you don't have a sharpener, you're SOL. Sometimes I will use a pencil liner to draw the initial line on my eyelid, then use a more precise liner to finish out the tips of a cat-eye wing, so that's always an option. And sometimes cat-eye just isn't your thing so you don't have to worry about fine-tips!

Pros:
+Covers more surface area quicker
+Easy to remove if you mess up (in comparison to the other types)
+Easy to apply on the waterline

Cons:
-Dull tip
-Not good for precise, thin tips
-Smudges easier

Additional tools needed: Sharpener

Liquid Liner
Pictured: Sumita Liquid Eyeliner; Wet N Wild H2O PROOF Liquid Eyeliner

Possibly one of the most intimidating eyeliners is liquid liner. I was scared to touch this product for years before I finally gave it a try. I'm not going to lie - it takes lots of practice to get the hang of it. But damn do you look good once you do. As soon as I nailed the liquid liner stroke, my eyeliner compliments spiked tremendously. The key to liquid liner is to start off as firm as possible and make sure you have a steady hand. If your hand shakes, it will show up on your lids in the form of bumpy, wavy lines.
Finding a good eyeliner that works for you can be tough depending on the type of brush you like. Some liquid liners have a longer, more flexible brush that allows for curvier flicks, while other brushes are a little firmer and allow for more control. I have one of each, both pictured. The Wet N Wild liner brush is more flimsy, so I know if I'm going to be using it, I gotta roll with whatever the brush wants and it's generally going to look a bit more dramatic. But if I want a more specific cat-eye look or a smaller tip, I will use the Sumita liner. Both are good, personally.
Liquid liner also lasts the longest then all other liners, in my experience. But it can start to get flaky if left on too long and is stubborn to take off, even if not water proof. But trust me on this, if a liquid liner says it's water proof, you better have some makeup remover wipes handy to clean up any mistakes because a little water is not going to make it budge!

Pros:
+Most dramatic looking
+Long lasting
+Finest tip precision
+Dries matte

Cons:
-Unpredictable
-Not forgiving
-Stubborn to remove
-Flaky

Additional Tools Needed: Confidence

Gel Liner
Pictured: Estee Lauder Gel Eyeliner; Ecotools Brush

I love gel liner. I think it's a great medium between a pencil and liquid liner. In my opinion, gel liner is easiest and it offers the most control out of all the options. You need a small brush to apply it. Because you're using a small brush, it offers maximum control and precision. The brush is both thick enough to make good broad lines, and small enough to make precise tips for a wings. It's the best of both worlds. The key thing is to make sure you have a good brush because that can make or break it!! Just make sure you don't lose the brush otherwise you can't use your product either.
Depending on which brand you get, the liner can either be super easy to remove (aka very smudgy) or nearly impossible to take off. My absolute favorite gel liner was from Mary Kay, but it came with a terrible brush applicator that constantly dried up and I hated it. But it was SO water and smudge proof, I could literally wear the same coat for days and not have to reapply once, or have a single smudge out of place!! The gel liner I use now is Estee Lauder and they have a really great brush, but their product also smudges a lot easier, so it's a give and take.
The worst part about having a gel liner is that the product itself can begin to dry out so it gets harder to apply it on your brush and onto your lids. But overall, I think gel liners are so great, especially for those trying to work on their cat eye look but haven't felt brave enough to try liquid liners yet.

Pros:
+Easy to apply
+Easy to apply on waterline
+Offers the most control
+Covers a good surface area quickly
+Versatile
+Fine precision
+Dries on matte
+Certain brands can be 100% Smudge/Water Proof

Cons:
-Needs a good brush
-Product can dry out

Additional Tools Needed: Small brush applicator


Finding the right eyeliner for you can be a trial and error. I still find myself switching out different types because there is no one perfect one. Sometimes I like to mix my products together to get the best effect, like mentioned above with my pencil liner. I'll usually draw on my cat-eye with a liquid liner for a big wing, and then use the pencil to line my waterline for a darker, more dramatic look when I'm going out. Otherwise I won't line my waterline at all for a "daytime" look. Or if I want to go less dramatic and have more casual wing, I'll use the gel liner for every day use.

But at the end of the day, wings are not the end-all be-all of eyeliner. Sometimes wings may not be your style. Like my roommate, no matter how thin we used the liquid liner, we felt the winged look just didn't suit her, so she uses the pencil to line her eyes, sometimes just the top, or just the waterline (or both), and it suits her just fine. Don't think that you need any product that doesn't serve its purpose for your style.



Coming Up next time on This or That?: Eyebrow Products!
Subscribe to Red Raider Runway and never miss an update!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments

RedRaiderRunway. Powered by Blogger.